Bottom line, my favorite thing to do in this world (outside of spending time with my family) is traveling; and while I usually boast in my blog about using only a carry-on bag…..there is a list of items I will never leave home without, no matter what the trip, and they include:
- Walking Shoes – The absolutely best way to see any city, ancient ruin, museum, tourist attraction etc….is on foot and in order to do this you have to be comfortable!!
- Sunscreen – My white freckly Irish skin makes sunscreen an essential, however no matter what your ethnicity, protecting your skin from the harmful rays of the sun is imperative!!
- Lip Balm and Moisturizer – Whatever the season, but particularly in colder climates, keeping your body lubricated is crucial for comfortable travel.
- Compact Toiletry Bag – A small compact toiletry bag that you can carry in your purse or in a small carry-on tote, just in case you or your luggage ventures off course.
- Ear Plugs and Eye Mask – Another essential for successful travel is sleep and depending on how smoothly everything goes, you never know where you might have to catch your zzzzz’s!
- A bottle of Ibuprofen – As I get older, a sign of a great trip is the need for Ibuprofen; sore feet, headache, aches and pains, all signs that you are taking advantage of every opportunity, while taking a small toll on your body!
- 3 ounce Bottle of Hand Sanitizer – Never knowing if hand washing is an option before eating, having a small bottle of a hand sanitizer helps ensure the foreign bugs you encounter do not reek havoc on your stomach or general health. (In addition you can carry a 3 ounce bottle on an airplane.)
- Resealable Plastic Bags – The uses for these simple large and small plastic bags are endless; packing, waterproofing, dirty or wet clothes, medications and vitamins, day trips, food, etc……………..
- Hat – Once again for sun protection or for warmth. There are a wide variety of choices depending on the type of travel but a hat is always a must (a scarf for colder climate works as well)!
- Travel Light – Whether doing “1st Class” travel or heading out on a camping trip, having a small portable light/headlamp to help navigate your way through dark spaces is not only convenient it is far more safe. Also great for reading wherever you are!
- Portable Alarm Clock – Finally whether part of your wrist watch or tucked into a small pocket of your carry on, having a device to help get you moving each morning will ensure you do not sleep your vacation away!
I consider my list to be right on; but with the vast assortment of people out there, I am sure opinions will vary. So please let me hear from you, what are your essentials while traveling? Happy trails from Irv’s Luggage!