A vacation is a luxury that is getting more and more expensive. Airline tickets alone are quite costly and can put a large dent in an already pinched travel budget. So the last thing one needs when traveling by air is the additional cost associated with overweight luggage, luggage fees. Below are some tips to help keep your luggage within the airlines’ allowed weight limits and thus avoiding this additional expense on your next trip:
- The best way to reduce your luggage weight is to buy lightweight luggage. I know sounds pretty obvious but many people do not realize how much the weights of various luggage brands can vary. Some of the lightest luggage brands on the market (that do not sacrifice quality) include Antler Luggage, Eagle Creek Luggage and International Traveller Luggage.
- Pack lightweight, versatile, washable clothing including Ex-Officio Travel Wear. Choosing lightweight black clothing is an especially great choice because it can easily be dressed up or down and is terrific at hiding the dirt.
- Everyone has their favorite toiletry brands but using only travel size bottles that easily fit in cosmetic bags and toiletry kits is a must!
- Limit the pairs of shoes you bring (make sure they are comfortable too). Wear a versatile pair of shoes on the plane and pack only one additional pair (if you have to).
- Wear or tie around your waste a versatile coat or sweater and do not pack any additional ones.
- Bring jewelry, scarves, and ties to mix-up your wardrobe; leave all that additional clothing at home. Travel jewelry cases and tie cases allow for easy packing.
- Never bring a blow dryer as almost all hotels now provide them on site.
- Lay what you want to bring out on your bed and then put half of it back (only bring your absolute necessities and favorites, you will be happy to wear them several times anyways).
- Buy a luggage scale and do not leave home until you are under the limit and please do it the night before so you do not miss your flight!
- Finally, the best way to avoid luggage fees is to pack light enough to only need a carry-on bag! I am sure many of you ladies are rolling your eyes right now, like that will ever happen; but remember less is more……or at least less expensive!!!
The more money you save on this trip, the more money you will have for your next one!!! Ahhh traveling truly is the spice of life!!!
Happy lightweight trails from Irv’s Luggage!