This should be an Olympic sport … stuff your favorite duffel bag with as much as humanly possible. Leather duffels from David King, Le Donne, and Passage 2 let you pack, cram, jam — and organize — all of your clothing and travel accessories. It seems like everything you own would fit in these bags. WARNING — watch the airline baggage regulations and don’t try to pack the kitchen sink. It may just push you over the weight limit. Either way, there is plenty of room and space.
Duffel bags come in various leathers and sizes, and there are even wheeled options to meet the needs of today’s travelers. However, the duffel bag is not new to the luggage scene. It has been around for more than 400 hundred years.
Did you know this?
- The tightly woven canvas that was later used in the duffle bags was first manufactured in the 15th century in Duffle, Antwerp Belgium. It was never intended to be used for luggage.
- In 1611, the cloth was imported to Spain and Portugal for sailors to repair their ship’s sails.
- Sailors fell in love with the durable, seaworthy fabric and began to make their bags from this material. The bags were originally called sea bags or ditty bags.
- During World War I, the term duffle bag was first used.
- The US military first issued the official duffle bag in 1943 and it has remained the military’s favorite bag.
- Duffle is also spelled duffel. Why? No one knows!
The duffel bag users of yesterday would hardly recognize today’s leather duffel bag. David King, Le Donne, and Passage 2 are three of the finest bag manufacturers and are top featured brands at Irv’s Luggage. Their bags have plenty of pockets and compartments for travel items, and even dirty laundry. With the David King Vaquetta Leather Duffel with Bottom Compartment, it is easy to keep your messy, dirty things below and keep your clothes clean and fresh in the compartment above.
Duffel bags are often spotted filled with gear at sporting events or gyms. They make for great carry-on bags, as they are available in a variety of sizes that easily fit in the overhead bin or under the seat. College kids arrive home with the Passage 2 Collection Vaquetta Leather Rolling Duffel oozing with weeks of dirty clothes.
Weekend travelers also love duffels — especially the Le Donne Distressed Leather Getaway Duffel — because they can easily fit all their clothing, shoes and gear needed to go exploring. Each leather duffel from Le Donne is unique in its color tone variations, creases and weathered look. The bag feels like it has been a part of you, like your comfy leather slippers, and the shoulder strap removes if you prefer to carry it by hand.