Tired of paying hefty fees for checking your bag? With airlines charging anywhere from $20-$50 for your first checked bag, many travelers have made the switch to a carry-on bag, even for longer trips. Plus you can head out of the airport as soon as you disembark the plane, rather than trudging down to baggage claim to wait for your luggage.
Irv’s Luggage has been giving expert advice to travelers for over 72 years. Read on:
- While 4 wheel spinner cases are popular and convenient, 2 wheel cases give you more interior packing space. With a 4 wheel spinner, in order for the case to meet the overall allowable carry on dimensions, the case has to be smaller to allow for the 4 wheels. Takeaway: buy a 2 wheel carry on, gain more interior packing space and save BIG on baggage fees AND time.
- Softside vs. Hardside? Softside every time, for added space and flexibility in packing plus the convenience of having outside pockets. Most softside cases we sell have USB ports for charging your phone – you don’t need a hardside case for that!
- Packing cubes and packing folders have revolutionized the way we pack.
- Save a substantial amount of space by organizing your items and packing everything in a packing cube or folder.
- Packing folders are perfect for larger items like pants, or folded shirts. The wings fold in for maximum compression.
- Buy cubes with compression zippers that further compress your clothes saving additional space in your case.
- Using Ziploc bags in your luggage? Invest in packing cubes made of durable material and quality zippers because they will last forever, they stack better in your luggage, your clothes will be less creased and they’re easier to access.
- Bringing really bulky items, like sweaters and jackets? Check out Compression Bags – different than compression packing cubes.
- Compression Bags are made of durable plastic. You load your bag, seal the top (usually these have Ziploc tops), and then roll the bag squeezing out all the air. Using your body weight and rolling the bag on the floor will give you the best results.
- Bring interchangeable wardrobe items that give you multiple outfits.
- Choose basic pieces that work together and reduce the overall quantity of what you bring while still having options to change up your outfits.
- Wear your bulkiest shoes or boots on the plane and pack the smaller pair in your carry on.
- Invest in a compact toiletry kit with multiple pockets for keeping things organized.
- Use TSA compliant bottles or buy travel sized toiletry items.
So many carry ons to choose from – how do you choose?? I’m going to break it down and give you my top 3 favorite bags.
- Briggs & Riley Baseline Domestic Carry On: at 22”, this carry on is the largest size you can take on the plane, giving you the most amount of space. The features and overall design of this bag are second to none; hanging section and a flat roomy interior. This is our best selling carry on, hands down.
- Travelpro Crew VersaPack Max Carryon: This New collection from Travelpro is expandable, has garment bag features so you can hang items if you choose, and offers various zip in organizers to make this versatile bag perfectly suited to the way you travel.
- Eagle Creek Expanse Hauler Convertible Carry On: This amazingly versatile carry on is perfect for the traveler that is moving around a lot and needs to have a roomy, lightweight bag along for the ride. This carry on converts easily to a backpack, with padded backpacks straps. Tuck the backpacks straps in and use the padded shoulder strap. Grab handles all around the bag make it easy to grab & go. Insanely great pockets everywhere.
With hundreds of travel accessories to help make your trip easier, more comfortable and more efficient, Irv’s Luggage is your 1 stop travel shop.
Posted in Carry Ons
Tagged Briggs & Riley, briggs & riley baseline, Briggs & riley carry on, Briggs & Riley Luggage, carry on, carry on bag, carry on bags, carry on luggage sale, carry on suitcase, Carry-On Luggage, Eagle Creek, Eagle Creek Luggage, Travelpro, travelpro carry on, Travelpro Luggage
Holiday travel is coming! Here are our Top Ten Essentials to have in your luggage when you head out to the airport or on the road. We cover a wide array of items from RFID blocking accessories to TSA approved laptop bags. Are you prepared?
- Packing cubes are essential whenever I travel. They are versatile in organizing/compressing clothes, functioning as a travel kit, consolidating souvenirs, and so many more applications. They also act as a 2nd barrier if something spills in your bag, adding just that extra level of protection and peace of mind as well. Eagle Creek offers packing cubes that are just perfect to fit in luggage and hold your belongings.
- A speedthru laptop bag/case will make getting through TSA easier. No fumbling around with your netbook in your carry on or messenger bag, a speedthru laptop makes accessing your electronics so much easier. And it frees your hands up from holding your laptop while in line; easy in, easy out, easy through, and you can get to your shoes, belt, spare change, etc. a lot easier.
- TSA approved travel bottles allow you to bring some of the comforts from home with you, without risk that TSA might toss your amenities. Travelon makes travel bottles sized to TSA security specifications; these bottles hold your shampoo, body wash, or any other liquids you may need from your home bathroom.
- An expandable lightweight luggage carry-on, such as the Lucas Vortex Lite, is easier to carry than most other bags due to its lighter frame, but it can also save you on checked baggage fees! 4 Wheel Spinner luggage is easier to maneuver than other wheeled luggage, making the entire piece high on mobility, low on overall cost to you. Carry more, spend less, and an even lower risk of your checked bag getting separated from you!
- A luggage scale is another way to combat luggage fees, by addressing any weight limits for your airline. The Victorinox Digital Luggage Scale is a good option to use when you want to avoid overweight luggage fees. You can save yourself a few dollars and especially some time by testing your luggage before you leave for the airport, and meeting the necessary guidelines.
- A great anti-theft bag (especially the anti-theft bags made by Travelon) can be invaluable in this day and age. Thieves employ more and more sophisticated methods to take your information or possessions, and you have to travel smart to be prepared for such instances. Gain peace of mind that your personal electronics and items such as wallet and passport are kept safe in a slash-proof, RFID-protected, and securely fastened cross body bag or something similar.
For more information on RFID/Anti-Theft, see Travelon’s video on this anti-theft bag here:
- An RFID wallet is less visible than an anti-theft bag, but no less important to your safety. It will keep your ID and personal information protected from IR scanners and other devices intended to pick up your info while you are unaware. Definitely a great purchase if you don’t own one yet. It would also make a great gift for someone else!
- Sometimes an electric wall outlet just is not available while you’re out and about, or you have to recharge while on the move and cannot afford to sit still for 2 hours waiting for your device to charge. A mobile charger/battery pack is an invaluable item to carry with you, to get your electronic device charged when you might need it the most. In a pinch, you could reach who you need when you need, and that’s one less worry for you in an emergency! Irv’s Luggage offers a wide variety of tech accessories.
- A waterproof bag for your iPad, cell phone, or any other electronics can handle inclement weather, accidents, spills, nature, the oceans, life and adds one more protective layer for devices necessary to you when you travel. You wouldn’t have to be mindful of what’s in your pockets when caught in a downpour or dropping your phone in the snow, it would all be tucked away and secure in a sealed waterproof container. There are a lot of preventable accidents that can disable one’s electronics while abroad, be ready for some of them and ultimately save yourself the expense and trouble of a replacement.
- Personal organizers work much like the packing cubes, only a more proportionate size for what you need in it. A jewelry organizer would keep your earrings, necklaces, rings, and other assorted accessories together and matched up in one place without risking losing them in a baggie, dropping them somewhere, or breaking while sitting in your suitcase. Toiletry kits are a necessity for keeping your bathroom amenities in one place and packed together tightly, rather than have your shaving kit or hand mirror sliding all over the inside of your luggage and at risk to spilling or breakage. Everything is so much easier to find, keep track of, and travel with peace of mind regardless of how your luggage may shift.
These 10 items are our top picks for what to take on vacation. They’ll make traveling more organized, efficient, smoother, less worrisome, and add to the overall experience for veteran and rookie travelers. You can worry less about certain details and definitely enjoy and focus on where you are, what you’re doing, and the family you’re spending time with. While you can’t always predict what will happen on a trip, these accessories will make sure you’re more prepared and organized for whatever may happen.
Posted in Business - Technology, Travel Extras - Trip Essentials
Tagged Anti Theft Travel Accessories, best travel accessories, Eagle Creek, Eagle Creek Luggage, expandable luggage, laptop bag, laptop case, lightweight luggage, luggage accessories, luggage scale, packing accessories, Packing Cube, RFID, rfid handbag, RFID wallet, spinner luggage, toiletry kit, travel accessories, Travelon, travelon travel accessories, TSA friendly laptop case
A vacation is a luxury that is getting more and more expensive. Airline tickets alone are quite costly and can put a large dent in an already pinched travel budget. So the last thing one needs when traveling by air is the additional cost associated with overweight luggage, luggage fees. Below are some tips to help keep your luggage within the airlines’ allowed weight limits and thus avoiding this additional expense on your next trip:
- Pack lightweight, versatile, washable clothing including Ex-Officio Travel Wear. Choosing lightweight black clothing is an especially great choice because it can easily be dressed up or down and is terrific at hiding the dirt.
- Everyone has their favorite toiletry brands but using only travel size bottles that easily fit in cosmetic bags and toiletry kits is a must!
- Limit the pairs of shoes you bring (make sure they are comfortable too). Wear a versatile pair of shoes on the plane and pack only one additional pair (if you have to).
- Wear or tie around your waste a versatile coat or sweater and do not pack any additional ones.
- Bring jewelry, scarves, and ties to mix-up your wardrobe; leave all that additional clothing at home. Travel jewelry cases and tie cases allow for easy packing.
- Never bring a blow dryer as almost all hotels now provide them on site.
- Lay what you want to bring out on your bed and then put half of it back (only bring your absolute necessities and favorites, you will be happy to wear them several times anyways).
- Buy a luggage scale and do not leave home until you are under the limit and please do it the night before so you do not miss your flight!
- Finally, the best way to avoid luggage fees is to pack light enough to only need a carry-on bag! I am sure many of you ladies are rolling your eyes right now, like that will ever happen; but remember less is more……or at least less expensive!!!
The more money you save on this trip, the more money you will have for your next one!!! Ahhh traveling truly is the spice of life!!!
Happy lightweight trails from Irv’s Luggage!
Posted in Travel News
Tagged 10 ways to avoid luggage fees, 10 Ways to Beat the Luggage Weight Limit, Antler Luggage, carry on bags, Carry-On Luggage, Eagle Creek Luggage, ex-officio, exofficio, How to avoid luggage fees, How to beat the luggage weight limit, international traveller luggage, jewelry cases, lightweight luggage, luggage accessories, luggage fees, luggage scale, packing accessories, tie cases, travel clothing
Eagle Creek luggage is extremely lightweight, has a “No Matter What” guarantee and offers a variety of accessories to organize your bags, using the Eagle Creek “Pack It” system. In addition to all that…. Eagle Creek is currently running a “Win a Trip to Kenya” sweepstakes that will end July 31, 2010 (the grand prize includes airfare, accommodations and safari).
Whether it is sightseeing, sport adventure, business, resorts, cruises or off the beaten path…..Eagle Creek has a bag that is right for you! Visit us at Irv’s Luggage to get the details ….Kenya awaits!
My dad was not a famous president, athlete, movie star or scientist; however, no man had a greater impact on my life and there is no man I miss more since he passed from this world a few years ago. Here at Irv’s Luggage, for over 63 years, we have been providing wonderful Fathers Day Gifts to road warrior dads all over the world. To help continue making Father’s Day extra special, we would like to recommend three of our best selling, top notch luggage brands: the Hartmann Intensity, the Rick Steves 2010, and the Eagle Creek Luggage HC2 Hovercraft Luggage Collections.
- Hartmann Intensity Collection, made of 1050D Ballistic Nylon with full grain leather trim and antique brass finished hardware, comes with a lifetime warranty and is the perfect luggage for the executive dad looking for a sleek, polished, sophisticated, classic, high end look! Even better the whole collection is now 25% off and with certain purchases you will receive a free gift, a $235 garment cover!
- Rick Steves’ ,the man who has made traveling his life, 2010 collection is ultra light, durable luggage with internal and external compression straps (to help stabilize your load), mesh organizer bags (adding even more packing options) and Rick Steves’ signature clip-in security pouch (the smartest way to keep your valuables safe and accessible) and a Rick Steves’ Travel DVD is included with each purchase!
- Eagle Creek’s HC2 Hovercraft Luggage Collection, for the more rugged Dad’s, known the world over as some of the finest outdoor –inspired travel gear around, the Eagle Creek Hovercraft has been the cornerstone of the Eagle Creek travel brand for years and for a limited time each purchase comes with a free Eagle Creek 3 Piece Travel Kit ($30 value)!
Help make this Father’s Day, June 20th, extra special for that absolutely best, one of a kind dad you are lucky enough to still have in your life, by purchasing one of these terrific luggage pieces today at Irv’s Luggage!!!