Once you have picked out your luggage the next step is to figure out what travel accessories you need for travel today. In case you need some help, I’m going to highlight a few items that are must-haves for all travelers.
One item each piece of luggage should have is a luggage tag or handle wrap. They serve multiple purposes; they both help you find your bag and if your bag is lost it will have all your information. Even if your bag has a place to write your information a big, bright tag or wrap will help separate your bag from the crowd. This is also a great place to add a piece of personality and friar to a not so exciting suitcase.
Most airlines nowadays limit checked bags to 50 Ibs. If you exceed this the extra fees can be HUGE. The best way to avoid this is with a luggage scale. Scales come in two different varieties, spring-loaded and digital. The advantage of the spring-loaded ones is the reliability. It never needs a battery. The digital ones though are smaller and easier to read. Pro tip: If you are planning to buy items on your trip you might want to pack your scale.
One item you never want to leave home without is your medication. It is no fun having to take time away from your trip trying to track down new prescriptions or medicines. You can carry all your pill bottles with you but for one week or less trips it will be easier to use a pill planner. This way you can make sure you have everything you need to. Another pro tip: no matter what you should always keep your medication on you and not in a checked bag.
Worried about leaving your bag unattended? You will need a luggage lock. What makes these locks different from other locks is that with a luggage lock the TSA can still access your bag. If your lock is not a TSA lock they will cut it off and maybe even damage your zippers. A good way to know if your lock is TSA approved is to look for “TSA” followed by a number somewhere by the keyhole. If your lock doesn’t have that don’t use that lock.
These items are must-haves for any traveler and having them can make the difference between a fun trip and a nightmare. Don’t forget to stay tuned for more tips on travel accessories.
Holiday travel is coming! Here are our Top Ten Essentials to have in your luggage when you head out to the airport or on the road. We cover a wide array of items from RFID blocking accessories to TSA approved laptop bags. Are you prepared?
- Packing cubes are essential whenever I travel. They are versatile in organizing/compressing clothes, functioning as a travel kit, consolidating souvenirs, and so many more applications. They also act as a 2nd barrier if something spills in your bag, adding just that extra level of protection and peace of mind as well. Eagle Creek offers packing cubes that are just perfect to fit in luggage and hold your belongings.
- A speedthru laptop bag/case will make getting through TSA easier. No fumbling around with your netbook in your carry on or messenger bag, a speedthru laptop makes accessing your electronics so much easier. And it frees your hands up from holding your laptop while in line; easy in, easy out, easy through, and you can get to your shoes, belt, spare change, etc. a lot easier.
- TSA approved travel bottles allow you to bring some of the comforts from home with you, without risk that TSA might toss your amenities. Travelon makes travel bottles sized to TSA security specifications; these bottles hold your shampoo, body wash, or any other liquids you may need from your home bathroom.
- An expandable lightweight luggage carry-on, such as the Lucas Vortex Lite, is easier to carry than most other bags due to its lighter frame, but it can also save you on checked baggage fees! 4 Wheel Spinner luggage is easier to maneuver than other wheeled luggage, making the entire piece high on mobility, low on overall cost to you. Carry more, spend less, and an even lower risk of your checked bag getting separated from you!
- A luggage scale is another way to combat luggage fees, by addressing any weight limits for your airline. The Victorinox Digital Luggage Scale is a good option to use when you want to avoid overweight luggage fees. You can save yourself a few dollars and especially some time by testing your luggage before you leave for the airport, and meeting the necessary guidelines.
- A great anti-theft bag (especially the anti-theft bags made by Travelon) can be invaluable in this day and age. Thieves employ more and more sophisticated methods to take your information or possessions, and you have to travel smart to be prepared for such instances. Gain peace of mind that your personal electronics and items such as wallet and passport are kept safe in a slash-proof, RFID-protected, and securely fastened cross body bag or something similar.
For more information on RFID/Anti-Theft, see Travelon’s video on this anti-theft bag here:
- An RFID wallet is less visible than an anti-theft bag, but no less important to your safety. It will keep your ID and personal information protected from IR scanners and other devices intended to pick up your info while you are unaware. Definitely a great purchase if you don’t own one yet. It would also make a great gift for someone else!
- Sometimes an electric wall outlet just is not available while you’re out and about, or you have to recharge while on the move and cannot afford to sit still for 2 hours waiting for your device to charge. A mobile charger/battery pack is an invaluable item to carry with you, to get your electronic device charged when you might need it the most. In a pinch, you could reach who you need when you need, and that’s one less worry for you in an emergency! Irv’s Luggage offers a wide variety of tech accessories.
- A waterproof bag for your iPad, cell phone, or any other electronics can handle inclement weather, accidents, spills, nature, the oceans, life and adds one more protective layer for devices necessary to you when you travel. You wouldn’t have to be mindful of what’s in your pockets when caught in a downpour or dropping your phone in the snow, it would all be tucked away and secure in a sealed waterproof container. There are a lot of preventable accidents that can disable one’s electronics while abroad, be ready for some of them and ultimately save yourself the expense and trouble of a replacement.
- Personal organizers work much like the packing cubes, only a more proportionate size for what you need in it. A jewelry organizer would keep your earrings, necklaces, rings, and other assorted accessories together and matched up in one place without risking losing them in a baggie, dropping them somewhere, or breaking while sitting in your suitcase. Toiletry kits are a necessity for keeping your bathroom amenities in one place and packed together tightly, rather than have your shaving kit or hand mirror sliding all over the inside of your luggage and at risk to spilling or breakage. Everything is so much easier to find, keep track of, and travel with peace of mind regardless of how your luggage may shift.
These 10 items are our top picks for what to take on vacation. They’ll make traveling more organized, efficient, smoother, less worrisome, and add to the overall experience for veteran and rookie travelers. You can worry less about certain details and definitely enjoy and focus on where you are, what you’re doing, and the family you’re spending time with. While you can’t always predict what will happen on a trip, these accessories will make sure you’re more prepared and organized for whatever may happen.
Posted in Business - Technology, Travel Extras - Trip Essentials
Tagged Anti Theft Travel Accessories, best travel accessories, Eagle Creek, Eagle Creek Luggage, expandable luggage, laptop bag, laptop case, lightweight luggage, luggage accessories, luggage scale, packing accessories, Packing Cube, RFID, rfid handbag, RFID wallet, spinner luggage, toiletry kit, travel accessories, Travelon, travelon travel accessories, TSA friendly laptop case
‘Tis the season to shop, and our Gift Center has a number of gift ideas perfect for the traveler in your family. Get a head start on your shopping list for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, or stocking stuffers for the holiday shopping season.
Prosafe 1000 TSA Approved Combination Locks can protect your things while still allowing TSA to check your bags as needed. Very important as you travel during the holidays, especially at the airport.
2. Victorinox Digital Luggage Scale
Don’t get caught checking your bag and THEN an overweight charge on top of it. Lighten the load (and not your wallet) by ensuring you’re within the weight restriction of your airline with this luggage scale.
3. The Mighty Purse by Handbag Butler – Leather iPhone Smartphone Charger Wristlet (Poppy Pink shown)
Don’t get caught with your phone’s battery running out again, whether you’re in the airport terminal or out to dinner. Hold all your essentials and be ready to recharge at a moment’s notice where ever you are.
4. World Time Alarm with LED Flashlight
A number of features for numerous time zones, whether you’re camping or in a hotel this gadget can prove invaluable keeping time or as a flashlight. AAA batteries means no outlet needed when you’re on the go, and it is conveniently pocket-sized to make it easy to take along.
5. Toiletry Kits
With a wide selection of Dopp, Ricardo, Travelon, and PackSmart, toiletry kits are the unsung heroes of travel. Holding together all the amenities you might forget otherwise, and keeping them safe, secure, and most importantly, together. Why rely on hotel shampoo and soap when you can bring your own?
Posted in Travel Extras - Trip Essentials
Tagged accessories, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, dopp kit, gift, gifts, holiday, light, list, lock, luggage lock, luggage scale, mall, mighty purse, mighty purse by handbag butler, shopping, small business saturday, Stocking Stuffer, toiletry kit, Travel, travel accessories, travel clock, TSA
A vacation is a luxury that is getting more and more expensive. Airline tickets alone are quite costly and can put a large dent in an already pinched travel budget. So the last thing one needs when traveling by air is the additional cost associated with overweight luggage, luggage fees. Below are some tips to help keep your luggage within the airlines’ allowed weight limits and thus avoiding this additional expense on your next trip:
- Pack lightweight, versatile, washable clothing including Ex-Officio Travel Wear. Choosing lightweight black clothing is an especially great choice because it can easily be dressed up or down and is terrific at hiding the dirt.
- Everyone has their favorite toiletry brands but using only travel size bottles that easily fit in cosmetic bags and toiletry kits is a must!
- Limit the pairs of shoes you bring (make sure they are comfortable too). Wear a versatile pair of shoes on the plane and pack only one additional pair (if you have to).
- Wear or tie around your waste a versatile coat or sweater and do not pack any additional ones.
- Bring jewelry, scarves, and ties to mix-up your wardrobe; leave all that additional clothing at home. Travel jewelry cases and tie cases allow for easy packing.
- Never bring a blow dryer as almost all hotels now provide them on site.
- Lay what you want to bring out on your bed and then put half of it back (only bring your absolute necessities and favorites, you will be happy to wear them several times anyways).
- Buy a luggage scale and do not leave home until you are under the limit and please do it the night before so you do not miss your flight!
- Finally, the best way to avoid luggage fees is to pack light enough to only need a carry-on bag! I am sure many of you ladies are rolling your eyes right now, like that will ever happen; but remember less is more……or at least less expensive!!!
The more money you save on this trip, the more money you will have for your next one!!! Ahhh traveling truly is the spice of life!!!
Happy lightweight trails from Irv’s Luggage!
Posted in Travel News
Tagged 10 ways to avoid luggage fees, 10 Ways to Beat the Luggage Weight Limit, Antler Luggage, carry on bags, Carry-On Luggage, Eagle Creek Luggage, ex-officio, exofficio, How to avoid luggage fees, How to beat the luggage weight limit, international traveller luggage, jewelry cases, lightweight luggage, luggage accessories, luggage fees, luggage scale, packing accessories, tie cases, travel clothing
Avid travelers know that investing in a great piece of luggage is a key component of successful travel but they also know having the right luggage accessories to accompany this great piece of luggage is crucial to hassle-free travel as well. After consulting with several world travelers and top luggage experts the following list was compiled of the ten must have luggage accessories in 2012:
- TSA Approved Lock – With airline security being tightened throughout the world and the chance of encountering a luggage thief always a concern, a high-quality TSA lock that can be unlocked as well as re-locked by security personnel ( so your belongings continue to be secure even after going through security).
- Luggage Tags – With the paper tags provided by the airlines susceptible to being lost and thus your luggage being lost too; a good, sturdy, colorful luggage tag that will also help identify your luggage on the carousal is a must for all kinds of travel.
- 3 oz. Bottle Travel Set – A bottle/container set that includes of a variety of 3 oz. bottles to choose from, that will allow you to carry a limited numbers of liquids on-board as the TSA now dictates.
- Luggage Scale – Even though sometimes you feel like bringing everything but the kitchen sink. Keeping your luggage within the weight limits required by the airlines, so as to not rack- up exorbitant baggage fees, makes having your own personal luggage scale to weigh luggage while at home or on the road (before arriving at the airport) key!
- Laptop Sleeve – Some business travelers may bring a laptop business case as a carry-on but many travelers will not, so a laptop sleeve to protect your computers is of critical importance.
- Dopp Kit – A well designed nylon toiletry bag with great organizational features including a hook (to hang your bag in the shower or by the sink); and while leather is considered a more luxurious material, a well designed nylon bag that is water resistant is a far better choice when taking your “personal essentials” on the road.
- Packing Folders & Packing Cubes – Packing efficiently is critical due to baggage fees and the desire of most travelers to have wrinkle-free clothing. Packing cubes and folders can help make this happen! Another added benefit of using these handy packing aids is the less likelihood of bed bugs creeping into your clothing while sitting in a hotel room, due to the zippers and velcro closures keeping the little critters at bay.
- Garment Sleeve / Bag – Some luggage pieces are designed to be suiters but many are not! A garment sleeve is great for packing suits and dresses for that all important meeting or party on your trip.
- Shoe Sac – Shoes have all sorts of dirt, chemicals and germs on them, so keeping them separated from your clothes and personal effects is very important.
- Hide-Away Tote Bag – Rarely, if ever, does someone go on a trip and not end up purchasing some kind of additional “stuff” that needs to be packed in an already over- stuffed suitcase for the return trip home; thus, having a hide-away, collapsible, tote bag as a catch- all for all those additional “treasures” is perfect!
Posted in Travel Extras - Trip Essentials, Travel News
Tagged 10 Must Have Luggage Accessories, dopp kits, Essentials for Airline Travel, garment bags, garment sleeves, laptop sleeve, laptop sleeves, luggage accessories, luggage lock, luggage scale, luggage tag, packing accessories, packing cubes, packing folders, toiletry kits, tote bag, travel accessories, travel bottles, travel tote, women's tote